Friday, August 25, 2006

Dodol Wajek


August 25th 2006
Budaiya

Two of our famous traditional food. In the olden days we used to have them only during hari raya celebration and it was such a special treat. It would take a whole day's effort to make a big kawah of dodol. The men would usually do all the stirring until the dodol is fully cooked. I remember as a child, I would be waiting till the dodol is just cooked and can be eaten while it is still soft and drippy. It was like a once in a year occassion, and that is what made it so special.
But now, you can find dodol everywhere, anytime, any colour and flavour. Its a not a bad thing though, but I feel that the dodol has lost its exclusivity.
While I was back home, I had sampled some and they were quite good and nicely packed. So I brought back some to the delight of my colleagues. Wish I had brought more.
The wajek which I like is called wajek sirat, I like it because the glutinous rice is like a paste and it is not so sweet. The other version of wajek is extremely sweet.
Both of these traditional kueh use more or less the same ingredients, except the method of cooking is different. And you need to get a good gula melaka and make sure you have enough coconuts.
Ah... those good old days... I missed them...!!!

No comments: